Designated ‘One of the Most Promising Private Med Tech Companies’ of 2014
REDWOOD CITY, CA – October 9, 2014 – Gynesonics, Inc., a women’s healthcare company focused on the development of minimally invasive solutions for symptomatic uterine fibroids, today announced it has been named by FierceMedicalDevices to its 2014 Fierce 15, a designation given to 15 companies selected by the publication as “the most promising private med tech companies” of 2014. FierceMedicalDevices is a publishing company that “provides breaking news and critical insights into the medical device and diagnostics industries,” according to its website.
In a story on the 2014 Fierce 15, the publication noted that the companies it selected “will be worth watching in the coming years as the unprecedented interaction of medical devices with information technology continues to unfold.”
Gynesonics President and CEO Christopher M. Owens noted that the Company has been making substantial progress toward the clinical validation and targeted commercialization of its newly-designed VizAblate System.
“We are pleased to receive this recognition for the terrific progress we have made to date – and believe VizAblate has the potential to produce a significant shift in how certain fibroids our treated. The promise we offer is in providing patients and the physicians that care for them, with a unique, innovative treatment option for symptomatic uterine fibroids. Our VizAblate system is a highly differentiated, disruptive technology designed for treating those fibroids associated with abnormal uterine bleeding, a condition afflicting a large patient population with few options,” Owens said. “Given our CE Mark approval in June, our emphasis now is providing greater patient access to VizAblate as we work with leading physicians in building a significant base of clinical evidence in support of our overall strategy.”
According to the medical literature, in the United States, about 70-80 percent of women in the US will develop uterine fibroids by age 50. In addition, approximately 200,000 hysterectomies are performed in the United States each year because of symptomatic fibroids, according to the New England Journal of Medicine.
The Next Generation VizAblate System Features:
• First and only intrauterine ultrasound probe for accurate identification and SMART targeting of fibroids
• The only system to integrate imaging guidance and therapy into a single handheld delivery system
• Designed as an incision-free, uterus-preserving alternative to hysterectomy and myomectomy for symptomatic fibroids
• A transcervical approach developed to completely avoid the peritoneal cavity and tissue morcellation, minimize BMI-related access issues and avoid the need for general anesthesia
• Designed to treat a wider range of fibroids, including larger/deeper fibroids, that are not accessible with hysteroscopy
• Proprietary radiofrequency delivery system, scalable to provide predictable ablations of varying sizes
• Innovative exclusive SMART Targeting Guide designed to optimize ablation area, while minimizing the risk of thermal injury to adjacent viscera
• Incision-free in-situ fibroid treatment device developed to reduce procedural complexity, risk and morbidity compared to surgical excision and removal
Gynesonics is a women’s healthcare company focused on minimally invasive solutions for symptomatic uterine fibroids. Gynesonics has developed the VizAblate® System for the transcervical treatment of symptomatic uterine fibroids under intrauterine ultrasound guidance. VizAblate has received CE Mark approval for commercial sale in the European Union. VizAblate is not available for sale in the United States. Gynesonics is a privately held company with headquarters in Redwood City, CA.
CONTACT: Chris Owens Gynesonics President and CEO 650.216.3860 www.gynesonics.com